An Appeal - Please Donate Generously
Founded in 1991 at the University of California at Berkeley, Asha (meaning “hope” in several Indian languages) for Education emerged out of the desire to bring hope to the lives of underprivileged children of India. It also represents the collective hope of volunteers working together to bring about change in the lives of underprivileged children. Deprived of access to education, millions of Indian children grow up unprepared to face the economic and political challenges of the twenty-first century. We believe that addressing the problem of education is critical in breaking the "vicious cycle" of poverty.
Asha, with its 66 chapters across the world, is an organization that is run entirely by volunteers - volunteers like me, and my wife. My own chapter - the Silicon Valley Chapter - disbursed $250,000 in support of 27 projects across India in 2005. Through these projects, we are making a difference - contributing our mite to the socio-economic transformation of India. Click here to see a site-visit report I wrote for one such Asha-supported project.
As someone lucky enough to have received a good education, and as an Asha volunteer,
I have committed to:
- Raise at least $2120 for Asha to fund ongoing projects in India to provide basic education to the underprivileged children.
- Complete the marathon training and complete the Silicon valley Marathon on Oct. 29th 2006.
Imagine - I had never run more than a couple of miles at a stretch before joining TeamAsha. On July 30th 2006 I ran the San Francisco Half Marathon (13.1 miles) - an awesome experience! The picture at the top of this page is me nearing the finish of the half marathon in Golden Gate Park.
Here's your opportunity to help!
You too can send out a ripple of hope by donating to Asha and contributing to my fundraising effort. Every Dollar (or Rupee, Pound, whatever) you contribute will go towards the cause of educating underprivileged children in India.
You can choose to contribute:
- Approx. $1 for every mile I run: $25
- Approx. $2 for every mile I run: $50
- Approx. $4 for every mile I run: $100
- Choose your own contribution!
According to Charity Navigator, the largest charity evaluator in America, Asha ranks number one in a list of "Top Ten Slam Dunk Charities" and is also number one in the list of "Top Ten Charities Worth Watching".
How to donate?
- Credit Card: Please click here to donate using credit card over a secure connection.
- Check / Cash: Please contact me if you want to donate via check or cash.
- Employer Matching: If your employer has a donation matching program, please contact me after making a donation. You need to send me your company's matching form filled out with the amount you donated.
Though a credit card is preferred, cash and check are also welcome! Please make sure to write my runner id 2006TA294 on your check. An official receipt will provided, no matter which method you choose for donation. All donations are 100% tax deductible in the U.S. under Section 501(c)(3) (Tax Id 770 45 9884).
Thank you for your donation!
Post marathon update: Please see this.